Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Big Easy

This past weekend we went to New Orleans.  This was the third time I've been there and each time I love that city more and more.  I mean the food, the drinks, the fun, the people that go with me














and the ones we meet there....all combine to make it a great place to visit and not difficult at all to get to from Houston. 

This trip happened because the guys we call husbands and friends wanted to attend the 30th Wrestlemania.  And then we realized it was also Katrina's birthday weekend too.




I don't think I will ever understand the obsession that is wrestling but it made for some amazing people watching.  Sure that happens anyway when in NOLA but holy cow wrestling fans are a strange breed.  And Daniel Bryan has this awful chant of "Yes! Yes! Yes!" that we heard "no shit, true lie" (my husband's new saying while there...I don't know where he got it.  He says he made it up but usually that's not true I find out years later) maybe one million times. I'm happy to never hear it again.

 


When I visit a city I like to try different places to eat sprinkled in with places that I have been to before because they are just amazing.  This trip we went back to Acme Oyster house for their charbroiled oysters and boo fries.
 


















I was told to go to Drago's for their charbroiled oysters because theirs were better.  Obviously I had to take the recommendation and compare.  They were right.  I preferred Drago's over Acme's.  We ate at Mr. B's Bistro (part of the Brennan family restaurants) Saturday night.  Jarad and I shared a crabcake, scallops and duck spring rolls.  Typing them out make it sound so plain but they were delicious.  Jarad said that each were the best versions he had ever had.  Jarad had a dessert that he didn't share



















and Natalie met her future boyfriend. 














Lucky Dogs (hot dog street vendor), boiled crawfish, andouille sausage, random pizza spots and a Diners, Drive In's and Dive place were also sampled throughout the weekend.  We ate at The Old Coffee Pot Restaurant and Natalie and I shared the fleur de lis chicken.  It was a chicken breast with a lump crabmeat and Louisiana crawfish stuffing, sautéed and finished in the oven and topped with Buerre Blanc, served with Andouille sweet potato hash and green bean casserole.  I thought it was yummy but the service was horrible.



















When I think of drinks on Bourbon my mind immediately goes to a hurricane at Pat O'Brien's,



















a hand grenade at Tropical Isle, bourbon milk punch at the Bourbon House but this time we added a few more must haves when we visit next.  All the specialty drinks at Channing Tatum's restaurant/bar, Sinners and Saints were delicious and the atmosphere was great.



















I now prefer a hurricane from Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar over Pat O's.  It claims to be the oldest bar in the U.S. and haunted.  They don't use electric lights at night and the ambiance created by candlelight makes for a unique bar experience.  And of course Cafe Au Lait made with chicory coffee from Cafe du Monde or Cafe Beignet is necessary each morning.

We stayed at the Maison Dupuy hotel.  It was 2 blocks from Bourbon.  It was closse enough to walk everywhere we went but far enough away that it wasn't too loud from all the crazies.  There was a wedding at the hotel on Saturday and the flowers in the courtyard fountain were gorgeous.

Sunday while the guys went to Wrestlemania the girls did a scavenger hunt/history tour that I found through Groupon.  It is an app based tour called Stray Boots.  It was so much fun.  I liked that it was just us four therefore we could go as slow or fast as we wanted to.  We stopped and talked to people we met on the way, stopped for drinks, stopped in cute little shops and just had the best time.  It was the perfect blend of entertainment and learning. 
 
 I can't wait to visit another city where they have tours through this company.

On our way back towards Bourbon we stopped to talk to some people who we had met briefly a year ago while in New Orleans for the Super Bowl. It was a super weird coincedence that they were once again sitting on their stoop having an evening martini. This year we all became friends...Facebook ones and all. Lynda and Brian were even sweet enough to let us use their bathroom and Obama toilet paper.





















I love that we can go to a city where we meet great people that we hang out for a second (bachelor party and the dentist who I told "You should be going to Wrestlemania sir, NOT the school board meeting." and he replied  "Uh, I'm not going to either.")



















or an evening, be super random (Jarad as a street performer),
 


















hear awesome music,



















taste different foods and drinks all while making amazing memories.























Until next time NOLA it was a great long weekend yet not ever long enough.






2 comments: