Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

100th Anniversary of Battleship Texas and more

All of this weekend's activities were piled into one day, Saturday.  Natalie and I ran the Shamrock Strut on Saturday morning.  We were up at 6:30 ready to run...or one of us more than the other.  We ran this race a couple years ago and put it back on the calendar this year.  I think this may be my most favorite race to run this far. It's not a super packed race, the after party is great and it supports Houston Eye Asscoation Foundation. 



















I finished 20th out of 39 in my age category and 171st out of 256 runners.  My offical time was 36:51.  I really wanted to be under 35 minutes but I can't blame anyone but myself because I didn't run all that much up to this race.  The weather is turning around which will make it much easier to get out there.  I need to find my next race to look towards.

After the race events were through we headed home to get ready to go to La Porte for the 100th Anniversary Celebration of Battleship Texas.  Battleship Texas is the last remaning ship that was used in both World War I and World War II.  There was music by many Texas country singers...one of my husband's favorite sang, Robert Earl Keen.




















There were food trucks.
 


















And there were fireworks. 



















It rained most of the day but we made the most of it....gazebo fun, muddy boots and all.


 


















It was a fun day like anytime we all do something.  Now it's time to rest up because NOLA is in two weeks.  The next two weekends should be pretty low key....thank goodness.

1 comment: