Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Half Marathon Update - Week 2

I was going to write this post yesterday cause while everyone was out having BBQs, shopping or whatever you do on Labor Day, I was at home sanding furniture (it's a chore and I wish I was ambidextrous for the places that an electric sander can't get to and I must do manual), cleaning out the DVR and waiting for my weekly update from the app I use to track my runs.  They sent me a monthly update and that was it.


When I got the email I was like man that's a huge change from the previous 2 months. And I worked out in some fashion 2/3 of the days in the month.  Then my internal speakers cued LMFAO's song "I workout" and I smiled.

Last week was going good. Long run was faster, Tuesday's run was fastest pace for a longer run, 
Wednesday I pushed myself to an even faster pace cause Wednesday are my short run days 


and then Thursday hit.  I had said last week I was going to be better on stretching and I thought I was. Thursday I set out and my calves and ankles got so tight in the first mile that I thought about quitting.  Then I found this..


So I finished my 3 miles.  It wasn't pretty.  Wasn't fast.  Walked about half of it but I did it.  I think it was my time to learn the lesson that not all runs are going to be good ones but at least I was out there and I finished.  So I did extra good job on stretching and did some yoga on Thursday evening.  Used my foam roller and heating pad.  Friday is a rest day and I skipped Saturday cross training day.  I was scared for Sunday's 4 miler.  It was my 3rd time running this distance and in the end it wasn't that bad considering Thursday.  I was 37 seconds slower than the week before but I was happy with that.  The rest and the stretching helped.  Lesson learned.  

This week I'm going to continue focusing on stretching and strength training but I'm also going to be more conscious on what I eat.  I've read a couple articles on foods runners should eat.  I need to do a little more research but frozen blueberries in my yogurt with a glass of oj can't hurt.

What are your fitness focus goals this week?




1 comment:

  1. My goal for September is to get back into running and exercising. I unintentionally took off the month of August and I'm totally seeing the consequences of doing that. :(

    I'm back at it tonight at 8PM...I've got an appointment with the gym. :)

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete