Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Half Marathon Weekly Update

It's been about two weeks since I committed to running a half marathon in November and about a week and a half into the training.  I'm following Hal Higdon's novice training schedule.  The first half  week was a struggle but I've found my rhythm with running again. And it feels so good.

I had said new things for running keep me motivated.  I went Saturday with my friend Michelle and got fitted for new running shoes.  I wasn't getting new shoes for motivation though. After 2.5 miles or so I was experiencing tingling, burning in the ball of my feet and toes.  After changing socks (yes I read that could be a culprit), retying my shoelaces by watching a few videos on YouTube and getting running insoles the only thing next was shoes.  I went to Luke's Locker in Cinco Ranch and had a really great experience.  The sales associate asked several questions, measured my feet (one's an 8 and one's an 8 1/2...I'm weird), watched me walk and then brought out three pair to try.  Running shoes are suppose to be a half size to a full size larger than your foot size depending on the shoe brand and how they run to give your foot room to spread and swell.  I tried a pair of Mizuno, Brooks and Asics.  I ended up buying the Brooks which were their Ghost 6. 



That afternoon I took Petey for a walk to try them out.  It's weird at first to have them so much larger but after awhile it feels almost normal and I didn't notice it.  I loved them after the short walk and then loved them even more after my 4 miler on Sunday.  The past two Sundays I've done 4 mile runs and this Sunday's was 6 minutes faster than the week before.  Crazy!! I think the new shoes helped and my new booty shorts also were a lot cooler.  I'm sure those were both factors to the increased speed. ;-)



 I also did a bike ride on Saturday as part of cross training.  It was a nice change to running and will be my cross train exercise of choice since I really don't have many other options. 

What I have realized in the first week is that I need to do a much better job of stretching. My calves have been so sore and tight since Sunday's run.  So that is what I'm going to focus on this week.  It was a good week of training and I look forward to even better one this week.









3 comments:

  1. I SWEAR by Brooks! I need a new pair so bad though...I blew the insole out about 2 months ago and complain every time I try to run. And I always remember...it's my fault because I haven't gotten new shoes yet. Glad you like Brooks too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing so good on the training!! I'm still trying to keep up with your pace...maybe I need to get some Brooks.

    ReplyDelete