Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

The Great American novel....

I've had several blog posts bumping around in my head but for some reason I just haven't made the time to sit down and write. I have been making the time to re-read The Great Gatsby. I'm almost finished, which is a good thing because the movie comes out this weekend!!!!! I had been told that reading it as an adult is quite different than reading it while in high school. And it is so true. It's more scandalous than I remember and a much deeper look into the "American dream." The movie was suppose to come out this past Christmas but just like the book and its view of the excessiveness of the rich, the producers or whomever pushed it back to a summer release for better crowds. So while the forecast for the weekend calls for rain and usually that's a bummer, it will be the perfect excuse to go to the movies.

"Laughter is easier minute by minute, spilled with prodigality, tipped out at a cheerful word."

"There are all kinds of love in this world but never the same love twice."

2 comments:

  1. I've wanted to re-read it as well. Freshman high school read seems so long ago. But I remember liking the book even back then. Can't wait to see movie too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should read it. Loved it. Hopefully seeing the movie this weekend. Hopefully I'm not underwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete