Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Holidays are the best time...at least this year was

The year is winding down and another Christmas in the books.  We had a very nice calm holiday over all.  This past weekend we went out to one of our friend's grandparents lakehouse.  It was what we called Misfit Christmas.  I learned how to shoot my shotgun that the husband had bought me a couple months back.  We enjoyed a fire as the nights were chilly.  Pooh Bear made an appearance dancing.  Destroyed a pinata, played football and enjoyed some drinks (some had a few too many), food and good company.


Christmas Eve we stayed home, just the husband and I.  I made surf and turf for dinner.  It was my first time cooking scallops.  They can be tricky I've heard cause if you cook them too long they become rubbery and tough.  I cooked the steak in a cast iron skillet on the stove and finished in the oven.  The potato was Paula Deen's recipe, Twice-Baked Shrimp Stuffed Potatoes.  The whole dinner was amazing and in my opinion could have been easily ordered at a high end restaurant   Yes I realize I made it all but it was that good.  I was pretty impressed with myself.


The green stuff on the steak was a compound butter that I made with butter, garlic, fresh parsley and thyme.  I put it on the steak the last minute of cooking.  The steaks were also cooked in butter and olive oil...not the most healthy meal but worth it.

Christmas Day we spent with friends and their families.  It was a nice day again with great food and even better company.

So now we look forward to New Year's Eve but first tomorrow a little Girls Happy Hour where I just learned we will also be celebrating another engagement. Congrats Michelle and Brandon!!

Photo courtesy of Sarah Prescott



2 comments:

  1. That meal looks amazing! Congrats to Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meal looks high end to me too! Looks like 2013 is going to be another year full of weddings. Two of my friends got engaged over the holidays with weddings planned already and two friends who had already set the dates. Congrats to Michelle!

    ReplyDelete