Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Cheese Tastees...a tasty treat

Growing up we would have tastees either made at home or from our little hometown family owned drive in, Bethel Dipper.  If you don't know what a tastee is the explanation/description I find most often is a loose meat sandwich.  It is similar to sloppy joes but sooooo much better.  Apparently the original is from the Tastee In and Out originating in Iowa and these sandwiches are known mostly in the midwest.

photo courtesy of Ann-Margaret McIntosh

My favorite items from Bethel Dipper were their tastees as well as their ice cream sandwiches. I haven't eaten there in years but crave tastees now and then.  So yesterday I decided to make a half batch of them.

I got the recipe from my Dad years ago and jotted it on a piece of scrap paper.  And that's how it remains and tucked into a pocket in my recipe book.


The 3 tablespoons of salt is a little much and probably should be cut in half or down to 1 tablespoon as I show adjusted below. These sandwiches in my opinion should also be served with a slice of cheese.  Some also put pickles on them which is good too.

Tastees
  • 5lbs Ground Beef
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 T Salt
  • 3 T Yellow mustard
  • 3 T Horseradish
  • 3 T Worstershire Sauce
  • 1 1/2 cup water
Brown ground beef and onions. Drain.  Add remaining ingredients.  Simmer for 3 to 4 hours.  Serve on hamburger buns and enjoy!!!

3 comments:

  1. I miss Bethel Dipper! Must make these soon!! Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had a tastee in years and I'm back in the Ville at least once every other month or so. The recipe sounds easy enough too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a secret ingredient...maybe I will share one day! :)

    ReplyDelete